We would like to invite you to stand in solidarity with us on Feb. 16, 2017 at the MN State Capitol; as we rally against the injustices faced by Black youth and families involved with Minnesota's Child Protection system.
We are outraged by the gross disparities that exist within this system. Black families are disproportionately represented and once involved, the outcomes are inequitable. Racial disparities are found in the entire process, from initial reporting and assessment to discharge from the system.
Black families are over represented in rate of:
• Contact with the child protection system: Black children are 4 times more likely to be subjects of child protection assessments and investigations
• Reports to CPS: Black children are 5 times more likely to be a subject of a Child protection report
• Out of home care: Black children are placed in out of home care at a rate 5.3 times higher than white children
• Placement stability: The longer Black children remain in out of home care, the more they experience multiple moves in placement settings
• Aging out of care: Black youth have high rates of reaching the age of majority when in placement for long periods of time
Black youth are removed from their homes at an alarming rate and a large number are crossing over from Child protection into the juvenile justice system. There are 489 children awaiting adoption in Minnesota; 59% are children of color.Current legislation lends to the national epidemic of criminalizing Black families.
The NAACP and its supporters demand reform! A list of policy positions will be presented to the Department of Human Services and our legislators.We want key decision makers to know that this is a COMMUNITY issue and the community is standing together!
Please join us in advocating for the rights and well-being of our families!
1:00 pm -2:30pm
Legislative Briefing for Advocates and Allies
[A brief review of talking points to discuss in legislative meetings, pick up material, and visit your legislators]
Gather in the Rotunda
3:00 pm- RALLY!
75 Rev Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd
Saint Paul, MN 55155
Google map and directions
Showing 48 reactions
Sign in withFacebook Twitter